THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Holocaust Museum

We went on an excursion today to a holocaust museum. Cameras weren't allowed. Too bad. Anyway...

First, we were escorted into a room and nagsalita yung isang guy about the holocaust. It was for 30 minutes to an hour I think, and after that we were divided into two group. Our group stayed in the room while the other group went ahead to the museum. When they were gone, one of the Jewish holocaust survivors shared his story with us. He spoke real softly. He was really old. I mean, the holocaust was way back in the 1940s and all during World War II. I think he was Polish.

He told us about how at first, when he was a kid, the Nazi soldiers barged in and told that Jewish kids could not go to school anymore and the footpaths outside. He told us how it shattered him because he had no education anymore. After that, they were segregated into people who could work and could not work. Luckily, he was around the age of 14 and could work. He told us how at one time he was holding his father's hand, and a guy went to him and told him to let go of his father's hand or he'll die. Then the guy shoved him out of the way and his father got dragged into the gas chamber and got gassed. That stranger saved his life. Then there was also this event when a guy asked him if his father was *insert name here*(can't remember), and said yes. The guy then told him to apply for work or something or else they'll find him next and put him in the gas chamber, so he did. Then he went to work in a coal mine I think.

He told us so many more things. Like how his mother told him that mending socks could help him later in his life, so he agreed to learn. Later on, when they were crammed in the train going to another concentration camp or somewhere else I think, people had holes in their socks and they were freezing, because it was winter then. (Polish winters are cold. It snows, unlike here in Aus). So he mended everyone's socks.

He also told us about this time when they were made to strip and take a bath into what looks like a gas chamber, and were made to go outside without clothes and made to run somewhere. they didn't have clothes on for 3 days. THIS WAS IN WINTER, IN THE SNOW. Some of his friends died of frostbite then. Then they were given clothes and stuffs when they got to somewhere. It's all very vague to me.

He survived the holocaust because this German soldier who helped him escape to Israel. When he got on the train, there was a checkpoint so they got nervous and stuffs. He was asked 3 questions. I only remember two. One of them was "Do you know that the nurse uniforms look like in *insert name of hospital*?" and his answer was No, he didn't know because he was never in a hospital because he's healthy.

He's actually been to the hospital because he collapsed when the Russian soldiers came, I think. IDK. I have a very fuzzy memory. To he other question had to do with what currency was what was being held in front of him, and he was like, I can't see it because I'm farsighted. Clever, hehe. So he got through and went to Israel.

Malabooo.. But yeah. It's awesome because I got to meet some of the holocaust survivors. He also had a number tatoo from when he was at the concentration camp (the 'prisoners' were identified with numbers.)

Anyway, after that,we went to the museum. One of the things that really interested me was the brick that was dislpayed in the museum. The museum guide told us that it was an actual brick from an extermination camp from Warsaw, Poland and only 3 were given out ever, with the other one in another holocaust museum in Washington D.C. and one sent to Israel to *insert name of place that I forgot*

There was also this big 2x3 metre diorama made by a late holocaust survivor displayed in the museum that depicted what a concentration camp looked like.

So after the museum, we had lunch at a nearby park. It was so fun. I took pics with my friend's camera and my camera phone. I liked using hers because it was an actual camera. 14 megapixels and 28x digital zoom, where as mine was only a 5 pixel camera phone, but it was good enough for me :D It was just better and easier to use.

It was fun.

We went back to school after that.

Just as we were about to stop in front of the school gates, my friend behind me threw up.

So 3 of us and teachers helped her :D

---

END.

0 comments: